“To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

-- Sir Isaac Newton (1642 - 1727)

Monday, November 26, 2012

The Real Homer Hickam

From Homer's site: If you have only seen the movie October Sky, we hope you understand that it is not the complete story of Homer's Rocket Boys adventure and that some of it is not accurate. That's OK. It's still a cool movie! However, you will not be able to do your homework or write truthfully about Homer's boyhood if you have only seen the film. You must read the book. That's OK, too. It's a really cool book! We think you will like it even more than the movie.
OK, so how can you get more information on the book? Well, there were actually three books in what we call the "Coalwood Trilogy." Rocket Boys (also called October Sky to match the movie title), The Coalwood Way, and Sky of Stone. All are great books you will enjoy reading. Go to our Books page to find out more about them.
If you'd like to see photographs of the real Rocket Boys, then and now, and also learn more about the little town of Coalwood, West Virginia, where they grew up, go to our extensive Coalwood page.
Be sure to go to all of our other sections for more cool stuff including our Movies page which has a lot about the film, October Sky.
ARE YOU A STUDENT WHO WANTS TO KNOW MORE ABOUT HOMER AND HIS LIFE STORY?Click here to read his biography. Also, please visit our FAQ page for Homer's answers to many general questions about his life and times.


visit Homer Hickam's offical site here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i had no idea homer look like that and he has a website. what i don't get is qhy didn't they make the guy who was play as homer to put on glass?

Anonymous said...

JakeB
wow I did not know you wrote so many books. I should read one of them. Was your dad proud of you?

Anonymous said...

JakeB
Wow I never new you were an author. I should read one of your books. One question was your dad proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Wow, i thought the movie was the only thing but now im excited to read the book too!

Anonymous said...

October Sky was one of my favorite movies to watch including Magnificent Desolution! The movie got me more into what were learning in science and rocketry! Now I am more interested in rocketry and science then ever before! I can't wait to read the book.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if it would be strange for homer to watch october sky and see himself being portrayed by someone else. I know that would be weird to me.

Anonymous said...

He looks nothing like the guy from the movie.....